G.H. Williamson started work at his father’s business in 1858, engaged in the manufacture of tin plate goods of all sizes. He was responsible for the expansion of the Company, (situated at the Providence Works, Worcester) which at the time of his death employed some 1100 people. He was first elected to the City Council for the All Saint’s Ward in 1877.
He became High Sheriff of Worcester in 1888 and Mayor in 1893 – 1894 during which time he entertained the Duke of York on the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone for the Victoria Institute. Mr.Williamson was Chairman of the Streets Committee for seven years at a time when it engaged in a massive cleaning up of narrow streets and untidy courts.
He was an early exponent of electric street lighting and was largely responsible for the building of an electricity station at Powick for that purpose. In 1888 the independence of the City Council was threatened by the County Council’s Bill which would have granted autonomy only to towns with populations above 50,000. It was largely due to personal lobbying by G.H. Williamson that the City retained its Council.
Location: Guildhall First Floor – Staircase