J.S. Cook was a printer and stationer established in Foregate Street, J.S. Cook was first elected to the City Council in 1889 for St. Nicholas Ward. As Chairman of the General Purposes Committee from 1898 – 1926, he was largely responsible for developing the City’s open spaces into parks, notably Cripplegate and Pitchcroft.
He was appointed High Sheriff in 1902, Mayor and Chief Magistrate the year after, and then became a Freeman of the City in 1914.
Location: Guildhall Ground Floor – Lower Hall